Tired of having a gray icon for your Windows 10 profile picture? Do you still have the account photo of your Outlook account in 2010? This guide is for you. We’ll show you how to change your Windows 10 profile picture to give your login screen and start menu a new look.
First of all, you should know that there are two types of accounts in Windows 10 and they have different methods of changing profile pictures. If you have a local Windows 10 account, follow the first section of the guide.
If you sign in to your Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10 like most of us, you can follow the second section instead.
How to change the account image to a local Windows 10 account
If you’re using a Windows 10 local account, it’s easy and fun to change your account image. You don’t need to visit any external websites and can do it all from the built-in settings app. Here’s how:
- Open settings
press the Start on your keyboard and press the notched button above the power button. Otherwise, press Windows + I.
- Click on the “Accounts” heading in the settings
- Click on “Your information” in the Settings sidebar, then on “Camera” or search for one “
Of course you have to click “Browse for one” if you already have a photo saved, and “Camera” if you want to take one with your webcam now.
Navigate to your photo and press “Open” or press the shutter button on the Camera app. The photo will instantly replace your default profile photo.
How to change your Microsoft profile picture in Windows 10
If you are using a Microsoft account, you will need an internet connection to change your profile picture. This is because your profile picture will follow everything in your Microsoft account settings. Here’s how you change it:
- Hit start and click on the settings cog above the power button
- Click on the “Accounts” heading in the Settings application
- Click on “Manage my Microsoft account” with the “Your information” section selected in the Settings sidebar
- Wait for the Microsoft account settings web page to open and tap “Your Info” at the top of it.
If the web page does not open automatically, you can paste instead
account.microsoft.comin the URL bar of your browser.
- Press “Change photo” in the “Your information” section
- Click “Add Photo”, navigate to your new Microsoft profile photo and press “Open”
You can adjust the zoom level of the image in your browser by moving the slider to the right or left.
How to change account name or password in Windows 10
Now that you know how to change your profile photo and account photo in Windows 10, you can do it whenever you want. For further customization, you can also take our tutorials on how to change your Windows 10 account name and password.